Friday, August 3, 2007

Gavrielah's Pledge


I originally started the Compact back in October. I did not follow through with my pledge at that time and stopped posting on my blog. I've been thinking about it a lot the past few months. and the only thing I can say is that I simply was not ready at that time. I was all for the idea of it, but didn't have what it takes to put it into action. I fully believe that I am ready now.

Here is my Compact pledge:

  • Buy only what is truly needed
  • Buy nothing new, except for health, safety, and needed consumable items
  • Borrow or barter before buying used
  • Prepare healthy, simple meals at home every day
  • Will completely eliminate processed foods and white sugar, white flour, etc
  • Will eat foods in their proper season and buy locally as much as possible
  • Use only cloth for napkins, "paper" towels, toilet tissue and feminine needs
  • Get rid of all clutter in our home and keep only what we truly need or find beautiful, always giving away whatever no longer brings us enjoy
  • Will seek free and simple family activities to bring us enjoyment
  • Unplug any appliances not in use and eliminate as many appliances as possible.
  • Learn to grow things like herbs and some vegetables in containers


Exceptions: I will allow for printing of photos, but only ones I've carefully chosen and have a particular use for. I will allow for limited tickets to events such as festivals or museums. I will also allow for some downloading of music and purchases of CDs or craft items from local artists.

No comments: